In case you didn’t know, Southwest Florida is a top location for boating and fishing.
Whether you’re a long-time local resident or new to the area, chances are that you’ll want to take advantage of our local waterways and beaches – especially as we enter the spring and summer months.
There are several hidden and not-so-hidden places that offer the best boating and fishing in Fort Myers. As a local Fort Myers boat dealer, we prepared a small guide to boating in and around Fort Myers, Florida. Keep reading to learn more!
Fishing in Fort Myers
There are over 200 native species of freshwater fish and 500 native species of saltwater fish in Florida. Some of the most popular fishing species in the area are snook, redfish, sheepshead, and mangrove snapper. Trout, snapper, grouper, and cobia are also popular species that can be found offshore.
In Southwest Florida, you can fish just about anywhere. Here are some places from Fort Myers and around the rest of our SWFL that are best known for fishing:
- Naples Pier & Fort Myers Beach Pier – both of these popular piers are great spots because of the variety of fish that thrives around the pier.
- Blind Pass – the thin strip of water between Sanibel & Captiva Island is a haven for snook, redfish, and more.
- Boca Grande Pass – this popular area of the South End of the island just north of Fort Myers is one of the best tarpon fishing holes of the world.
- 10,000 Islands – if you want to make the trip south to Everglades City, you can explore the mangroves and the hundreds of fish species you can find in freshwater, saltwater, and brackish water.
Dock & Dine in Fort Myers
Of course, fishing is a great way to spend your day out on the boat, but there are also many other waterfront bars and restaurants along Fort Myers Beach and throughout the rest of Southwest Florida.
If you are having a fun day on the water with friends and family, or entertaining out of town guests, stopping to dock and enjoy the day at one of these popular restaurants is a great way to spend the way. Here are a few of our favorite spots.
- Mango’s Dockside, Marco Island
- The Boat House, Fort Myers
- Cass Cay Restaurant, Punta Gorda
- Back Water Jack’s, Bonita Springs
Fish Tale Boats: A Fort Myers Boat Dealer for 2+ Decades
With the right boat, you and your family/friends can have the best boating experience around. In addition to this blog post, several members of our sales team can give you invaluable tips about fishing and boating in Fort Myers.
Our sales team is also top-notch in helping you find the best boat for your budget, style, and preferences. Come to our Fort Myers boat dealership to speak with one of our talented salespeople today and check out our website for the latest inventory.
You can find us in Fort Myers at 15581 S Tamiami Trail, Fort Myers, FL 33908 or call us at (239) 463-4448. We look forward to seeing you and helping you find the best boat for boating in Fort Myers.